Wednesday 27 February 2013

Wednesdate #1: Our God-given Roles


 Being married for ten months, I came to reality that I am actually just miles and miles away from being the wife I want to be. I am a work in progress. God has been molding me into this woman I am to be. I have yet a lot to to accomplish and learn. But I know I am loved dearly by my husband.

Today is a special day for me and Allen. After we talked about what I feel about our marriage and how much we want it be better, I told him what I want so we could both adjust. I think most of the wives only want simple things. I for one, only wants to spend quality time with my husband. I can just stay home doing nothing, couching like potatoes as long as I know he is with me, I am happy. That's my love language.

You see there are five Love Languages. Act of Time, Act of Service, Act of Gifts, Act of Touch and Act of Words. There's a book you can read more about these acts to know how to please your spouse and make them feel more loved. My husband on the other hand wants to be served, as I see it. And he also wants Acts of Words. 

It is an essential part of your relationship to your spouse that you know their love languages so you would know how you can treat them better and how to make them feel more loved. This is one's responsibility. I will talk about these languages on my next blog.

Going back, we agreed that Wednesdays should be a day for me. He would not leave the house, won't do any work, or take me out on a date. This is my day. Our day. And we promised to make this special each time. 

Today is our first Wednesdate. I am excited. At least my husband kept his promise. He stayed at home and rested. I cooked Bistek na Bangus for lunch and had sensible conversations with him all throughout the day. In the evening we went to Victory Greenhills for the Week2 of Love + Marriage Series to learn and listen to testimonies of imperfect but God-centered relationships. 

We were a little late.Tonight's topic is all about husbands. It talked about what men should be as a family man. Pastor Dennis Sy categorized men's role:
1.) Men are supposed to be producers, not just consumers.
2.) Men are to be creators and cultivators.
3.) Men are to be tough and tender. 

Men are created to be the head of the family. Someone to lead and provide. Their masculinity is just as necessary as the women's nurturing trait. It is what separates us. Men are the cultivators of the seed God has provided. He is intended to make it grow into full bloom so they could fulfill the role they are given. 

Sometimes we, women nowadays do not understand the concept of fulfilling the roles of husband and wife in pattern with the Lord's teaching. As a competitive, independent and goal-oriented woman, I find it hard to accept that being married now, I should give up my career and be dependent to my husband because that's what the scripture says about being a good wife. To be a submissive and supporting. I should be at the back of my spouse and cheer him on every decisions he make. It was the hardest thing to do. But I know I am fulfilling my purpose, the God-given purpose. I am living the role I should portray. I learned to be humble, to trust my husband whole-heartedly and be ready (if worst comes to worst) to risk my own security or our finances I need to. I have to give him the trust to learn it himself. I have to let him take the lead, as he is supposed to be. In the long run, it will all be for the best. 

I am still in process on being one but with God's grace, I will find contentment and satisfaction on being the plain husband's Companion, Mother and Homemaker. And God will provide me a husband to dream of: Leader, Provider and Protector. 

How about you? What are the steps you do to make your husband lead?

Love, MrsE <3 

No comments:

Post a Comment